9th May 2022
Appleford-on-Thames Parish Council is seeking a Clerk/Responsible Financial Officer due to the impending retirement of the current Clerk.
Appleford is a small friendly village with an active community located four miles north of Didcot. The Parish Council has a precept of approximately £21,870 per year and serves a population of around 400 people.
This is a varied and interesting position with challenges to the village from infrastructure and other developments in the local and wider Science Vale area.
This is primarily a home-based position typically requiring 6 hours per week (26 hours pcm.) but also requires attendance at Parish Council meetings.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications (e.g., CiLCA) and experience and referenced to the scale LC1, SCP 11-15 (£11.50 p/h – £12.45 p/h).
The Council seeks an experienced Clerk but will provide training and support for any aspects of the role that an applicant may not be familiar with. Key skills required include excellent communication, a high standard of accuracy and numeracy, good administrative organisation and tact and diplomacy. A full range of IT skills including the use of Word, Excel and PAYE tools is also required. Experience of local government or Parish Council work would be an advantage.
The key duties of the Clerk are:
- attending and supporting the 5 Councillors at meetings normally held every two months at Appleford Village Hall.
- preparing meeting agendas and minutes and statutory returns
- following up and actioning Council resolutions
- dealing with incoming and outgoing correspondence
- administering bank account (on-line), including payments & receipts
- preparing budgets, annual accounts, and precept application
- maintaining records and key documentation.
For more information, please contact Greg O’Broin (Chair) by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 07768 490 277.
Application deadline: Wed 15 June 2022. Starting date: As soon as possible to facilitate handover from the retiring Clerk.